Pages

8/23/17

I Dare to Hope

Dare I Hope?
by Sophia White

Dare I hope to hope?
Is it safe? Is it right?
Am I hoping for nothing
But a black and empty night?



Today is a very good day for this mom. I’m full of hope. Hope that my daughter is on a path, going a direction, and it’s not off the deep end. If I were a religious person, I’d say, “Dear Lord, please let me enjoy this moment! Amen.”

I’m thrilled to report that my formerly troubled daughter is now in a very good place: she just texted to tell me she’s getting promoted based on her hard work and participation in process revisions. I also work in the corporate world, so I understand how important that is. She’s doing important work in her world and I’m exceedingly proud of her. Even though she’s already aware of how hard she works and the opportunities she takes to show what she can do, I think it surprises her with how much the company respects and needs her.


When she was still new to “the light,” this company gave her a chance. Gave both of us hope. I lead her to their door, but she took it from there. They apparently didn’t do or care about a background check, because the hiring process was really smooth and she was hired quickly. Granted, she did have related work experience and she interviews really well; she speaks intelligently, with humor and personality. They must have simply liked her. It didn’t pay too well (still doesn’t), but she didn’t have many choices at the beginning. It turns out that this is an excellent company that treats its employees with respect. At least I see it with her. 

So what’s is the result of that? A confident employee who is happy where she is, and is on an upward journey. An employee, a young woman, with hope for a future.

She has looked for other work in search of making more money, but she realizes that starting all over is a risk, and having short bursts of work looks flaky.

She’s also attending college part time. She’s been talking about it for a long time, but is finally doing it, with a focus and a plan. This formerly floating and lost soul is finding that she’s talented and smart and curious. That’s who she was as a little kid. Good student—in gifted classes, in fact—and wanted to learn more about everything. She was the type to go on a ten-minute walk and come back with a pocket full of rocks, shiny bolts, and unusual doodads. I hope she'll come back from this foray with a pocket full of knowledge, shiny experiences, and life-changing doodads.

No comments:

Post a Comment