Pages

1/26/19

Text out of the Blue


My daughter has ignored me for going on three straight weeks, ignoring our weekly check-in call, and even failing to respond to a text conversation (three weeks ago) that SHE initiated. Out of the blue, she sent me a text yesterday to joke that she was in a store, where there was a crying kid and why did I pass down that misfortune to her? The joke’s always been if I enter a store, there will inevitably be a whining child to interfere with my shopping pleasure. After thinking to myself, she has no job and no money, what’s she doing in a department store? I realized I didn’t know what to do. What’s the protocol here? First, I tweeted about it, and then I tossed the matter around in my mind.

Always glad to know she’s alive, I was also angry that she acted like nothing has happened, especially the passing of time. Without knowing what I could possibly say, I decided to say nothing at all—I’m allowing her to enjoy the same radio silence as I’ve received from her. It’s not a “two can play this game” thing, it’s more of a “not falling for it this time” thing. She’s a master manipulator, and knows that historically she’s thrown me some bones so I would be fooled into helping her financially when needed. She pretends to miss me, using phrases like "mommy hugs" and "I love you, mama," knowing they bend me over. 

While I won’t say I’ve completely wised up, my eyes are a tad bit more open. I am trying to save my health, reduce my stress, and take care of me. This means not being a mark, a sucker, or a doormat. I’ve decided to let her call me at our appointed time, since we never established that it would always be me doing the dialing. Naturally, I know she won’t call me, but I’m prepared. It’ll be hurtful each week, but as time goes on, the sting will be more bearable. Other than that, what else can I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment