Pages

1/16/19

I Don't Feel Like Her Mother--Who Am I Now?


I call her my daughter, but I don’t know who I am to her anymore. As I mentioned in one of yesterday’s posts, my daughter and I made an agreement to have a phone call every Tuesday at 2 p.m. to catch up, check-in, and generally connect. For the first four weeks, it worked. I dialed the phone, she picked up, we chatted, and then we repeated that the following week.

Yesterday was week five, and she already blew me off.

I had a feeling she would, since I had last week criticized her new “life plan,” which was basically a retraction/cancellation of the original sensible one. She’s now cut me off as a punishment, something she’s done many times before.

But most every other time we’ve had a rift in our communication, I’ve reached out. Sometimes I would send a text with “I love you, daughter” or “I hope you’re doing OK” She’d get over herself and eventually re-engage.

Yesterday, though, I left a voicemail at the scheduled time and followed up with one text that said, “My call went to voicemail.” It’s now 24 hours later and I’ve had no response, positive or negative, voice or text, from her. I somehow knew that would happen, and I also knew I wasn’t going to chase her this time.


I teased my husband when I called him from the car on my way home from work. I told him I couldn’t wait to tell him about my phone call with my daughter, and he was so jazzed and ready to talk about it. I savored it and made him tell me about his day first, but then he couldn’t stand it anymore. He said, “So . . . how is she? How was it?” I simply laughed and said, “She blew me off.”
What could we do but laugh? It’s our joke together—we’ve both been down this road before. My daughter is punishing me for something, but what she doesn’t realize is that I’m OK.

I’m analyzing how I feel, a day after the brush-off. I thought I’d be sad and be pining for that little morsel of connection with her, but I don’t. I feel a little disappointed, maybe, slightly offended, but in no way surprised, hurt, or angry. It’s strange to almost feel numb to your own child’s behavior, but she finally pulled that last move that made me giggle and tell my husband, “I told you so. She’ll never come through.”

I can only hope she’s at peace with herself and her choices. She’s 25 and has complete dominion over her life. She gets to live where she wants, eat what she wants, date who she wants, buy what she wants, screw up how she wants . . . I have no say, and my input clearly doesn’t matter. I definitely don’t get any credit for knowing her for 25 years or for providing her with important life skills (which she pretty much doesn’t use).

I know I can’t just walk away and pretend she doesn’t exist, but I don’t agree with my husband when he insists, “She needs you! You can’t distance yourself.” For my sake, I have to do what I intended to do for a long time—give myself time and space to take care of myself and accept this. Her abuse of me is exhausting and I don’t feel like her mother. I don’t know her at all because she doesn’t let me know her.

I used to feel like my heart was broken, but it’s beyond that now. It’s like I don’t even have a heart when it comes to her anymore. I’m numb, disconnected, cast out, worn-out, nonfunctional. I’m not proud of that, but when I think back to all I’ve been through with her, I believe in my heart that my nurturing has run its course and there’s nothing more for me to do. I’ve seen her through depression, eating disorders, legal problems, abortions, arrests, breakups, sexual identity crises, dropping out of HS, losing jobs, drugs, smoking, accidents, moving away multiple times, money and debt problems, trashing apartments and condos, dropping out of cosmo school, nonstop crying, ADHD treatment . . . the list is beyond comprehension. She’s cost me time, emotion, patience, and more money than I can count. What do I get in return? Rejection, punishment, disrespect. She clearly doesn’t love me or care about me, but it’s probably a symptom of something else. But I can no longer help her find her way when she doesn’t let me.

She doesn’t treat me like a loving daughter would. I must not be her mother. So who am I now?

No comments:

Post a Comment