Pages

6/26/18

Where She Belongs


I guess my daughter is in the right place. She doesn’t live in her hometown anymore; in fact, she’s a good 1,300 miles away in a very different type of city. She was ungracious to her sister during their visit (from the big sister’s perspective), but she seems to be thriving pretty well without us! That’s ok, I didn’t see her much when she lived here and we all get on each other’s nerves after a short amount of time.  

She’s actually called me once a week for the past few weeks, during her break at work, to tell me how wonderfully it’s going. Called me—with her voice! And she’s sprinkled in a few good texts, along with the inevitable “can you loan me money for groceries” texts. She has apparently found a good fit, where the business owner likes her enough to promote her quickly to a salaried employee and give her cash bonuses. She’s getting along well with her coworkers and feels like they have her back, though she claims doesn’t have any friends otherwise. She’s always had a hard time keeping friends
for very long without being influenced to do something bad or simply pissing them off. That’s ok. She’ll have some someday? She has also figured out a way to put the other employees on direct deposit, has fixed a few prickly IT issues, and has earned herself a shared office. I don’t even have an office after working in this place for six years!
I’m proud of her on one hand, but on the other hand, I don’t really approve of the business she’s in. 

Funnily enough, after all this time, she has yet to tell me where she works! I know the type of place it is, which has now become mainstream, but she skirts that issue with me. She loves what she does and she’s nearly 25 years old (wow, have I really been writing this blog for THAT long?), so I have no say in the matter. I just have to hope and pray that she’ll finally be able to support herself and make grown-up decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment