Pages

8/30/18

Uh-Oh! Rear-Ended

There's always something in my life that feels like a setback. My husband's father has cancer, his son is getting a divorce and is miserable, his business isn't doing well, I've had migraine attacks like I'm on the front lines in the Civil War, my older daughter has to move out of the apartment she and her boyfriend live in within 30 days (no choice; it's being sold) . . . the list goes on and on.

Top that off with blog-subject daughter being rear-ended a few weeks ago. Hers is a "fault" state, so the other person is 100% at fault and my daughter doesn't have to worry or contact her insurance company. However, on that date, she realized she had let her insurance lapse and would probably have her license suspended when she reported the issue. 

She asked for my guidance on what to do from the beginning. We found the rules, and she said she followed them all and the only thing left was to call the other driver's insurance company. My
daughter texted and said she was about to call and needed help on what to say. I gave her great advice--including "be aware that they will try to get you to admit fault and will bully you; text me their question before you answer or pretend you have another phone call and have to get off OR tell
them you'll have your lawyer call them." She said she was nervous and was going to calm down first before calling, promising to tell me how it went. (Could that mean she smoked a joint? Probably.) I've texted with her several times since that day and . . . nothing! She hasn't told me how it went, so I suppose she didn't even call or it went south. She's texted me jokes and current events questions, but no updates. 

She does so many adult things--she's paid her rent two months in a row, has been great at her job and was considered for a promotion--but she doesn't follow up with me. I am sticking to my policy of not being overly in her business--just kind of waiting for permission to speak. It's her life, her car, her apartment, her body . . . therefore, they're her decisions to make. It's hard and I want to get involved, but the less I know, the better off I am. I'm waiting to hear that she got a payout and bought a new car with it. I can hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment